Patrice Gaines

Where are you working now: I live in South Carolina (but just outside Charlotte, NC), where I've started a nonprofit program, The Brown Angel Center, that helps formerly incarcerated women become financially independent. I am a certified life coach and writing coach, travel about doing motivational speaking and do some freelance writing.


What position(s) did you hold at The Star? - I was an education reporter in Montgomery County before moving to the city as a general reporter. Shortly after I moved into the District, the paper shut.

Birthday: May 19



About Me: I've written two books, an autobiography called "Laughing in the Dark" and a self-help book about change called "Moments of Grace." These have opened up to me another world, motivational speaking. I speak at conferences, colleges, luncheons, dinners, churches, all kinds of amazing places.

I was a feature writer for the Metro section of the Washington Post for 16 years before I decided I was old enough to do what really gave me joy, my work with formerly incarcerated women.

She worked for several newspapers during her career as a fulltime reporter, spending the last 16 years as a reporter for the Washington Post in Washington, D.C. While at the Post, she won awards for journalism and for her contributions to the community. She investigated a 1985 murder case for six years, finding evidence that raised questions about the guilt of eight young, black men sentenced to 35 years-to-life for the killing. Based on the evidence she found, lawyers from the Innocence Project of the National Capitol Region are seeking a new trial for the men.
Gaines outlined her path to change in her inspirational book, “Moments of Grace, Meeting the Challenge to Change." She has been a guest on the Oprah Winfrey Show and was featured on a segment of Dateline.


Her articles have appeared in numerous publications, including Essence Magazine. She has been a commentator on National Public Radio and Pacifica Radio. Today, Gaines is a freelance journalist, writing teacher and motivational speaker, telling her story at colleges, conferences, prisons and drug rehabilitation programs around the country.

Website: www.patricegaines.com
Photo: www.soros.org
Attribution: WashingtonInformer.com, PatriceGaines.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment