David Cohen and an 80-year quest for “Lessons from Lives”

At David Cohen’s Nov. 8th talk at the Tenley-Friendship Library.
(photo by Jonathan Lawlor)
“For as long as I can remember, I’ve been fascinated by people’s life stories. My family teases me that I know the background of everyone I meet. I can’t resist asking, and listening,” Cohen told Forest Hills Connection.

Then, about a quarter-century ago, Cohen discovered the Harvard Study of Adult Development, research that began in 1938.

“With my lifelong interest in how people shape their lives, and have their lives shaped by the circumstances they face, I found a study that followed its participants from age 19 through the rest of their lives irresistible,” he said.

The working title of Cohen’s book is A Life You Want. It pulls together longitudinal research and other scientific studies to bring its readers a better chance at satisfying lives. The multi-faceted Cohen also has a writing background, going back to his childhood as a voracious reader.

“Writing was a natural consequence of endless reading,” Cohen said, “and my father and older brother were demanding and superb editors. I still remember how excited I was at age 12 to have The Washington Post publish my letter to the editor. I went on to write book reviews for The Post and The Washington Star (in the days Jonathan Yardley edited its book section), a column and articles for Harvard Magazine, a newsletter in one job, talking points, speeches, and Congressional testimony in another.”

Attribution: David Cohen, foresthillsconnection.com
Full story:  Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment